Review compared varieties
Other names (PBR name, trademark, breeder code)
'TBLL' is protected by Australian Plant Breeder's Rights (Granted 2 September 2013, Certificate #4613), Australian Patent (grant date 21 December 2017, Patent no. 2015246066) and United States Patent (Issued 2 May 2017, Patent no. 9,635,827), New Frontier® is a registered trade mark of Robert and Alexandra Cray (Trade mark no. 1642770). New Frontier is owned and manged word wide by New Frontier Brands Pty Ltd.
New Frontier® soft leaf buffalo is a new Australian bred St. Augustine buffalograss variety that is prostrate growing, deep green in colour and is well adapted to the shade and full sun. Observations to date has seen the variety requiring less mowing than other commercial buffalograss varieties because of its reduced upright growth habit. New Frontier® has an extensive fibrous root system that provides excellent recovery and improved drought tolerance.
A buffalograss genotype was selected by Robert Cray growing within a hinterland property in South East Queensland, Australia. The selection was made on the basis that the grass was deep green in colour, had prostate growth and was extremely well adapted to the shade. Further experiments, testing and evaluations were conducted to obtain New Frontier®. Following unique DNA fingerprinting results, New Frontier showed to be unlike any other buffalo variety within the Australian and USA market. New Frontier® plant material was imported into the USA in December 2014 for observation and testing by undisclosed companies.
Pests, diseases and weeds
Check to see which Pests, Disease and or Weeds this turf variety may be susceptible to and how to successfully control them in your home lawn or sports turf.
$12.15 - $15.00
Residential and Parks and Other
Suitable climate classification
Subtropical and Tropical and Temperate
Preferred mowing height
10mm - 50mm
- PBR expires 2/09/2033. Read more at http://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/pbr_db/search.cfm and search 'TBLL’ in the variety field.
- Roche, M.B. (2013) Stenotaphrum secundatum Buffalo Grass ‘TBLL’. Plant Varieties Journal 25 (4) 61, 211-216.
- New Frontier® is a registered trade mark of Robert and Alexandra Cray under Class 31 as of 1 Sep 2014 (AUS trade mark no. 1642770).
- A patent for the protection of 'TBLL' was filed in the USA and Australia on 20 Oct 2015.
- Cray, R.M. and Cray, P.A. (2017). St. Augustine grass named TBLL, United States Patent 9,635,827.