Review compared varieties
Other names (PBR name, trademark, breeder code)
B12 (protected by Australian Plant Breeder's Rights and United States Plant Patent), Sapphire® (registered trade mark of TurfBreed Pty Ltd and West Australian Group Pty Ltd)
Sapphire® is an open pollinated seedling selection from ‘Sir Walter’ which was selected for shorter internodes and greener foliage. Sapphire® has a medium textured leaf (width avg. 5.8 mm) compared with other commercial buffalo grass varieties. Mature leaves fold in on themselves length-wise to produce a finer textured appearance. Sapphire® leaves are blue-green in colour and the variety has medium-long brown to yellow green stolons. The variety has rapid lateral stolon development with a moderate upright growth habit. Sapphire® has vigorous growth in tropical and subtropical environments. The variety has excellent heat tolerance in high and low humidity area, but grows best at moderate temperatures between 20–30°C. Does not show significant yellowing in summer. Sapphire® has good winter colour retention and survives normal frosts to minus 10°C under Australian conditions. The buffalo grass has a moderate to high shade tolerance (Duff, A. et. al., 2009). Performed well in shade trails compared with other soft leaf buffalo grass. Can withstand shading under trees – up to 50% shade for wear areas and 70% shade for low wear areas. Sapphire® shows moderate drought tolerance having a deep root system. Salinity tolerance is also medium. Sapphire® is not recommended for high traffic areas. Better wear tolerance than sweet smother, kikuyu and “Wintergreen” green couch in 50% shade (Duff, A. et. al., 2006). Rapid lateral stolon recovery exists, however needs a recovery time to repair damage.
Pests, diseases and weeds
Check to see which Pests, Disease and or Weeds this turf variety may be susceptible to and how to successfully control them in your home lawn or sports turf.
$8.00 - $10.00
Residential and Parks
Suitable climate classification
Subtropical and Tropical and Temperate
Preferred mowing height
30mm - 50mm
- PBR expires 31 Aug 2023. Read more at http://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/pbr_db/search.cfm and search 'B12’ in the variety field.
- Duff, A., Loch, D. and Colmer, T. (2009).TU04013: Adaptation and management of Australian buffalo grass cultivars for shade and water conservation. Final Project Report for Horticulture Australia Ltd.
- Loch D.S., Poulter, R.E., Roche, M.B., Carson, C.J., Lees, T.W., O’Brien, L. and Durant, C.R. (2006). TU02005: Amenity Grasses for Salt-Affected Parks in Coastal Australia. Final Project Report for Horticulture Australia Ltd.
- Layt, T. (2005). St. Augustine grass named `B12` , United States Plant Patent 16,174.
- Paananen, I. (2002) Stenotaphrum secundatum Buffalo Grass ‘B12’. Plant Varieties Journal, Vol 15, No. 4.
- Sapphire® is a registered trade mark of TurfBreed Pty Ltd and West Australian Group Pty Ltd under Class 31 as of 17 Oct 2003 (AUS trade mark no. 974711).