Review compared varieties
Other names (PBR name, trademark, breeder code)
SS100 (protected by Australian Plant Breeder's Rights), Palmetto® (registered trade mark of Ozbreed Pty Ltd and West Australian Group Pty Ltd).
Palmetto® is a US variety that was selected from a turf farm in central Florida. The coarse textured buffalo grass has dark green leaves 8-9 mm wide. Palmetto® has excellent heat tolerance in high and low humidity areas, good cold tolerance handling frosts, good shade tolerance and a medium salinity tolerance. The variety has a deep root system, but water output through the broad leaves is high. Palmetto® possesses fair wear tolerance, recovering with new runners; however, the variety is not suited for high traffic areas.
Pests, diseases and weeds
Check to see which Pests, Disease and or Weeds this turf variety may be susceptible to and how to successfully control them in your home lawn or sports turf.
$5.00 - $12.00
Residential and Parks
Suitable climate classification
Subtropical and Tropical and Temperate
Preferred mowing height
30mm - 50mm
- PBR expires 1 May 2022. Read more at http://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/pbr_db/search.cfm and search 'SS100’ in the variety field.
- McCrimmon, J.N. (2004) Effects of Mowing Height, Nitrogen Rate and Potassium Rate on Palmetto and Raleigh St. Augustinegrass. Journal of Plant Nutrition 27(1):1-13.
- Trenholm L.E. and Nagata R. (2003) St. Augustinegrass—Made for the Florida Shade? Fact Sheet ENH967, Environmental Horticulture Department, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida.
- Kirkland, E.R and Wagner, T.A. (1995). St. Augustine grass `SS-100`, United States Plant Patent 9,395.
- Palmetto® is a registered trade mark of Ozbreed Pty Ltd and West Australian Group Pty Ltd under Class 31 as of 10 Oct 1996 (AUS trade mark no. 719395).